Turrentine Weekly Harvest Update
2012: Turrentine Weekly Harvest Update Tuesday, October 16th
What’s happening in the vineyards as harvest progresses? The Turrentine Grape Team will be highlighting what they are hearing and seeing in the vineyards throughout California every week.
- Monterey: Grand Slam: Pinot Noir still being harvested and Chardonnay has begun, along with Merlot.
- Warmer weather returns this week.
- White varieties still coming in. Gewurztraminer in Monterey County coming in heavy.
- Zinfandel crop remains somewhat variable, average to 10% above in Paso Robles.
- Approaching the end of the Pinot Noir & white varieties harvest.
- Just began picking Cabernet Sauvignon, closer to average crop in Sonoma County.
- Wineries struggling to find tank space for excess tons.
- It’s different than 2005! 2005 was big yields from all varieties across the state.
- The late season varieties are being harvested and it is crunch time for the wineries. Zinfandel, not a late season variety, is wrapping up, finally.
- With all coming in at the same time, tank space is constrained, but all grapes are making it into the tank!